A pattern for daily prayer


A Pattern for Daily Prayer


The below in an excerpt from Tim Keller's book, 'Prayer - Experiencing awe and intimacy with God'- to aid you in your daily time spent with God. Why not read the post "Reading your Bible"  afterwards, for some further help with your quiet time? 


Morning Prayer (25 minutes)

APPROACHING GOD


Ask for his presence and help as you read and pray. Choose from one of these Scriptural invocations: Ps 16:8; 27:4, 9-10; 40:16-19; 63:1-3; 84:5-7; 103:1-2; 139:7-10; Isa 57:15; Matt 11:28-30; Jn 4:23; Eph 1:17-19; 3:16-20.


BIBLE READING AND MEDITATION



(No one can do all of the following in any one session of meditation and prayer)

Read a passage three or four times.
Then make a list of everything it says about God (Father, Son and HS); list anything it tells you about yourself; and finally, list any examples to follow, commands to obey (or things that need to be avoided), and promises to claim. Then choose the verse and truth that is most striking and helpful to you. Paraphrase the thought or verse in your own words.


To meditate on the passage: Write down responses:

1. What does this text show me about God for which I should praise or thank him?

2. What does the text show me about my sin that I should confess and repent of? What false attitudes, behaviour, emotions, or idols stir in me when I forget this truth?

3. What does the text show me about a need that I have? What do I need to do or become in light of this? How shall I ask God for it?

4. How is Jesus Christ and the grace I have in Him crucial to help me overcome the sin I have confessed or to answer the need I have?

5. How would this change my life if I took this seriously - if this truth were fully alive and effective in my inward being?

6. Why might God be showing this to me now? What is going on in my life that God would be bringing this to my attention today?


PRAYER – Pray each of the meditations – adoration, confession, petition, and thanksgiving for Jesus and his salvation. 


Pray for your needs and pressing concerns.

Take a final moment just to enjoy him and his presence



Evening Prayer (15 minutes)

APPROACHING GOD – Ask for his presence as your read and pray.


BIBLE READING AND MEDITATION

Read a Psalm

PRAYER
Turn the Psalm into a prayer and pray it back to God.
- Think over your day and confess where you sinned or failed to respond as you should have
- Think over your day and pray for people you met or heard about who have needs or are in difficulty you might lift to God.
- Review your day looking for evidence of God that you can celebrate, and evidences of personal growth.
- Pray for some of the more important and urgent needs on your heart
- Thank God for his faithfulness.
___________________


A Starter Plan for Daily Prayer (15 minutes)

APPROACHING GOD – Realise God is present and consider the privilege of being present with God. Ask Him to teach you to pray.
MEDITATION – Read a Scripture passage. Discern one or two truths you see there. Choose the one that God presses on you and write it in a sentence. Ask: 1. How does this truth help me praise God? 2. How does this show me a sin to confess? 3. How does this show me something to ask God for? 4. What does this show me I should do?

PRAYER

Now turn those four questions into a prayer - adoration, petition and supplication.

Also pray about whatever needs are on your heart. Thank God for the ways you see him working in your life and caring for you.

Ask God to use you in the lives of the people closest to you.

Thanksgiving – Praise God for what he has shown you today. End with praise for God’s promise to go with you throughout the day.




The above was written by UBC Pastor, Dave Stott- to aid you in your daily time with God. Why not read the post "Reading your Bible" for some further help with your quiet time? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What does love look like at home?

Reading your Bible

O Death, Where is your sting?!